Saturday 22 June 2013

Undue Praise

Hey there folks,

I've been listening attentively to the things we say about our politicians, about how corrupt Nigeria is and that the only solution to our predicament is to change the mindset of our young people, because really, most of the older generation hasn't done much to help.
Even when I was in University, I heard a guy say "yeah, I definitely want to go back to Nigeria after I get my degree, at least I can continue from where my dad left off", when I told him that we can't talk like that and how much we need to change Nigeria from the hand of the corrupt, this is what I got as a reply "babe abeg jo, it's the way things are done. I'll run for office and stay there for a couple of years, while I steal the most money I can," that is the unfortunate mindset of a lot of people in Nigeria, both young and old.

But, that is not my topic for today. Today, I want to talk about how simply annoying it is that things do not work in Nigeria, and when they finally do(ie the A/C in the airport works, or lines at Immigration move quickly) people begin to give undue praise to those involved. Nigerians have become so used to terrible treatment, that when there is a good road, or a governor such as Fashola decides to be a real governor and do the things he was elected to do, people roll on the floor as a sign of respect and appreciation.

If we truly knew our rights as human beings and also as Nigerians, we would definitely expect more from those who govern us, not laughing or smiling like little school girls when we are simply given the head of the goat, when we deserve the herd of goats being reared.

My sincere hope is that one day, we will know who we are and understand what we deserve, hopefully it comes to realization in our minds before the 2015 election.

Yours truly,
The Upset Nigerian

No comments:

Post a Comment